Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Keeping in Touch

When trying to keep in touch with what’s going on in the world, all I can think is Thank God for the internet. The internet is the way that I get all of my basic news, without which I would be lost. I go on the internet typically to look at different news sources to see what’s going on in the world. I like to check out people.com, cnn.com, worstpreviews.com and facebook. These are my most visited sites, but there are many others as well. I like to look at Hollywood and film news, but being a com major, I like to keep in touch with what’s going on in the “real” world as well.

To look at current events, I like to watch television as well, but I most definitely rely on the internet way too much to keep me up to date. I use it not only to keep up with world news, but to keep up with persona news as well. I use Facebook in particular to keep up with friends from home. Without it I would probably never know what is going on with old friends because I am awful about calling people on the phone. The internet also keeps me up with what is going on at school. Thanks to Flagler email, I am kept up to date on classes, school programs and even the Wednesday Morning Coffee Break (although I never actually go, it’s comforting to know that they will always remind me that I can).

Hollywood news is an addiction of mine. I like to see what’s going on with Hollywood on People.com. It’s hard to explain why I actually care, but regardless I always find myself checking it. I also like to read trashy tabloids, but I don’t fool myself into thinking that they are true, so I mostly consider what I find in them to be fiction. To look at what is going on in films, I look at Worstpreviews.com. It keeps me up to date on the films being shot, who’s working with who, and the movie releases I am waiting for.

As a COM major, I also make sure I see what is happening in the other aspects of the world, but admittedly I do so with much less depth. I check CNN.com for general news and often assume that if it doesn’t pop up on the top of the page, it’s probably not that important.
The only aspect of news that I don’t immediately rely on the internet for is family news, which I depend on the phone for. My parents let me know the highlights about what’s happening with my extended family.

I think the fact that I use the internet as my primary source of news shows that I am a product of my era. The internet is the quickest way to find out about the news. The internet is fast, environmentally friendly and full of resources. I enjoy many aspects of using it, and frankly, I can’t imagine getting the bulk of my news any other way.

2 comments:

  1. It is your last paragraph that is the most interesting in my opinion. What do you mean when you say you are a product of your era? By that, I mean what do you think the implications are for people your age that they get the majority of their news on the Internet? For example, what happens if everyone assumes that if it doesn't pop up at the top of the page it isn't important?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I say that I am a product of my era, I mean that everyone and their mother seems to want to push technology at people in my generation in particular. I feel like I use this technology so much because it's constantly being encouraged.

    ReplyDelete