Saturday, February 21, 2009

Identifying with Music

Looking at my iTunes, it is easy to see that the music I listen to is very conducive to my personality, as is probably anyone else’s. I have music that will just about suit any mood I could possible feel.

I use my music for a variety of purposes. Most frequently I will use it as an escape. It is easy for me to just put on my headphones and listen to my favorite song in order to block out something I don’t want to think about.

I feel that through my music I gain whatever I need from my music at that moment. If I need to calm down, I have music to do that. If I need to psych myself up for something, I have music for that as well. I will never underestimate the mental healing power of music. I believe it is one of the most powerful mood elevators that you don’t need a prescription for.

I don’t have a specific genre of music I like. I only have one specific type that I don’t, which is country. I can’t really explain it, but it really bothers me. I tend to like really calming music that I could practically fall asleep to, but I also have a lot of pop and rock music that tends to energize me. I usually prefer old songs, but then again I have plenty of newer music that I enjoy also. I also have a strong collection of musicals that I can’t help but sing along to every time I hear them.

Despite my love for music, I am almost never find myself becoming a fan of a band. Instead I become a fan of songs. The only band I can truly call myself a fan of is Coldplay. They are the one band that I would go out and buy the new album of without hearing a single track. I think I am drawn to their music because it is very subtle yet powerful. They use unique instruments and beats that I can’t help but be drawn to. I feel like their music is subtle, and doesn’t feel a need to use shock value to draw in listeners, which I admire.

I think I am drawn to this kind of music because its calming nature allows me to reflect on things while I’m listening to it. That doesn’t mean I don’t use it to escape, but I think that sometimes it puts me in a frame of mind that helps me to better understand that aspects of life that frustrate me. My music affects me because it can change my mood so strongly. When I am feeling sad, I almost need Tracy Chapman to commiserate with, or when I am happy, I need to celebrate it with music from Mamma Mia! Overall, I am drawn to the music because I can relate to it, and because it speaks to how I am feeling.

2 comments:

  1. "When I am feeling sad, I almost need Tracy Chapman to commiserate with, or when I am happy, I need to celebrate it with music from Mamma Mia!"

    I am the same way. I always listen to certain kinds of music based on my moods. Do you feel like the music ever causes your moods rather that just comment on them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sometimes listening to a song can actually cause my mood because usually songs remind of something from life. They probably have more power than I give them credit for.

    ReplyDelete